Saturday, March 14, 2015

They Did Us Proud!


UTICA — Williamsville East’s Jack Kelly raced to the far corner and found Dylan Cicero flashing to the low slot for a one-time goal.  Eight minutes and 13 seconds later, Cicero converted on an eerily similar play in front.  That one crippled Lake Placid’s chances of moving on to the state championship game.
Cicero’s game-winning goal with 1:17 remaining in the third period gave the Flames a 3-2 win in a NYSPHSAA Division II boys’ hockey semifinal at the Utica Memorial Auditorium Saturday.  “Well, I thought on the first one, we didn’t really pick up,” Blue Bombers (21-2-1) coach Keith Clark said. “I thought on the second one, they just beat us there. Our guys were trying to get there. They made two good plays.  “We knew that they flashed to the front of the net. For the most part, we covered it. But they had two that got away.”
Tied 2-2 with three minutes to go in regulation, Lake Placid went on the power play when Cicero was sent off for tripping.  Despite a brilliant backdoor chance from Connor Preston, the Blue Bombers were held off the board.  Lake Placid finished 0-for-7 on the one-player advantage.  “I mean, I think we had good looks,” Clark said. “I think the kids were making the right plays overall. They shut it down. I think we needed to get a rebound, and we just couldn’t get the rebound. But I think we moved the puck well on the power play.  “I don’t fault our power play. I think our kids were composed and made plays.  “Just didn’t convert.”
Preston and Chris Williams were the driving force behind the Blue Bombers’ offense all season.  That continued in Utica.  Williams walked in on Max Battistoni, went backhand to forehand and beat the senior goaltender with a shot past the far post 33 seconds into the second period.  Preston gave Lake Placid a 2-1 lead, receiving a pass from Williams and beating Battistoni with a finesse move down low 7:48 later.  “I think our goals were nice goals,” Clark said. “Hard goals. Whenever you have to cut in front of the net, it takes some guts. They made some great plays.
“I thought we pressured their defense pretty well. Obviously, having Connor and Chris convert was key.”  Tucker Angelopoulos was sensational in net for the Blue Bombers, finishing with 32 saves.  “Tucker was lights out,” Clark said. “He did everything to give us an opportunity to win this hockey game.”  Williamsville East (22-3) led shots on goal 35-30.
The Flames took eight penalties for 12 minutes, while Lake Placid committed six penalties for nine minutes.  After having their unbeaten streak snapped at 21 games, the Blue Bombers finished their season at 21-2-1.
“I thought we came in, and we left everything on the table,” Clark said. “Our kids have nothing to be ashamed of. I thought we competed extremely hard.  “I thought we got better as the game went on. Even though we lost the third, I thought we were competing extremely hard against a very good Willy East team.  “I feel completely satisfied with our effort (Saturday). I couldn’t be prouder of our group.”